Main sponsor:

31st March 2017

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne 2-20 St Patrick’s Maghera 4-13

Report By Sylvester Hennessy

This was a game for the ages. A brilliant game of free flowing football that required extra time to separate two fine young Post Primary School teams.

In the end it was the students from west Kerry who prevailed when Aodhán Ó Dubháin fisted a late point to ensure victory. In doing so Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne annexed their third All Ireland Colleges title in 3 years having previously won back to back Hogan Cups in 2014 and 2015.

It was also a day of triumph for Kerry senior manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice who expertly guided his side to victory. This was his second All Ireland Post Primary School title as a manager to add to the one that he won with Kerry at senior level back in 2014.

This game had had everything you would want in a game of football. The most pleasing aspect was that both sides wanted to play attacking football. St Pats made much the better start to the game and they dominated the first-half but failed to convert a number of chances in that half.

They led by 2-4 to 1-4 at interval with both goals coming from their star man Alex Doherty but they also knew at half time that the west Kerry lads were very much in the game.

Killian Falvey scored their opening two scores, a well taken goal in the 6th minute followed by a point in the 15th minute. Stephen O’Connor added a point from a free. Franz Sauerland’s move from midfield to full forward also worked with the impressive Colm Moriarty moving to midfield. Sauerland scored PCD’S third point of the half before Ruaidhrí Ó Beaglaoich rounded off the first half scoring when his goal bound shot was tipped over the bar.
PCD’s defence were heroic in the opening half with Conchúir Ó Flannúra, Colin Ó Muircheartaigh, and Gearóid Ó Leidhinn in particular to the fore.

The second half was even more entertaining. Eunan Mullholland scored Maghera’s third goal in the 40th minute, but the west Kerry lads responded immediately with a stunning goal from Dylan Ó Géibheannaigh.

The half continued to ebb and flow with Ruaidhrí Ó Beaglaoich scoring 5 second half points. The last of these came from a free in the 62nd minute and it looked like the talented corner forward had the kicked the winning score.
Referee Joh Hickey was more than generous however with his added time and the inevitable free award to St Pat’s happened 4 minutes into added time. Alex Doherty converted and the game went into extra time.

The fitness of the Dingle lads proved crucial at this stage and they hit the ground running in the first half of extra time. The full-time score was 2-13 to 3-10 but Corcha Dhuibhne led by 2-18 to 3-10 at half time in extra time. Ó Beaglaoich scored three of the five, Sauerland another and the returning Aodhán Ó Dubháin got his first of the day.

A Kerry win looked the odds on bet at this stage but this thrilling game had another sting in the tale. Alex Doherty scored his third goal from the penalty spot early in the second period and then Doherty’s final point levelled matters.

It looked like a replay was the more likely outcome but there was one last kick in Chorcha Dhuibne. A flowing move that started in their defence was finished when Ó Dubháin ran through on goal. He had the goal at his mercy but showed great maturity to fist over the winning point in the 80th minute.

Another All Ireland title was making its way to the Kingdom. PCD were more than worthy All Ireland champions in a game that will live long in the memory for its pure quality and drama.

Pobalscoil Corcha Dhuibhne: Eoin Ó Brosnacháin (Daingean Uí Chúis), Conchúir Ó Flannúra (do), Seán Óg Ó Móráin (do), Colin Ó Muircheartaigh (do), Colm Ó Muircheartaigh (Abha na Scáil), Gearóid Ó Leidhinn (do), Pádraig Ó Cathalláin (An Gaeltacht), Franz Sauerland (do, 0-2), Séamus Ághas (Abha na Scáil, 0-1), Aodhán Ó Dubháin (An Gaeltacht, 0-2), Cillian Ó Failbhe (Abha na Scáil, 1-2), Deividas Uosis (Daingean Ui Chúis, 0-1), Steven Ó Conchúir (An Gaeltacht, 0-1, 1f), Dylan Ó Géibheannaigh (Daingean Uí Chúis, 1-0) Ruaidhrí Ó Beaglaoich (An Gaeltacht, 0-10, 5f) Subs: Bréanainn Ó Bruic (An Gaeltacht) for Ó Dubháin, Criostóir Ó Catháin (Daingean Uí Chúis) for Ó Conchúir, Cathal Ó Beaglaoich (An Gaeltacht, 0-1) for Ághas, Oscar Dáibhís (do) for Ó Catháin (BC), Seamus Ághas (Abha na Scáil) for Ó Bruic and Aodhán Ó Dubháin (An Gaeltacht) for Ó Failbhe.

St Pats Maghera: Caolan Convery, Conlan Milne, Shea Murray, Seán Turner, PJ McAleese, Cathair Glass, Eunan Mulholland (1-0), Conleth McShane (0-1), Pat Shivers (0-1), Ethan Doherty, JP McGuigan (0-2), Daithí McLaughlin, Conleth McGuckin (0-1), Alex Doherty (3-4, 2f), Enda Downey Subs: Séamus McKenna for McGuigan, Sean Kearney (0-4, 4f) for McGuckin, Oisín Doherty for Glass and Cahan O’Neill for Mulholland.

Referee: John Hickey (Carlow)

Posted in: News

Date: 31st March 2017