Main sponsor:

15th October 2019

Our Ladys Templemore defeated Ardscoil Ris by 4-20 to 3-17 in the first round of the 2019/2020 Dr. Harty Cup Under 19 Hurling competition on Tuesday October 15th in MacDonagh Park Nenagh.

2019/2020 Dr. Harty Cup Under 19 Hurling Group C Round 1

Our Ladys Templemore 4-20 Árdscoil Rís 3-17

Report by Ed Donnelly

MacDonagh Park Nenagh was the venue for the opening game in the 2019/2020 Dr. Harty Cup between two recent champions, Árdscoil Rís of Limerick (five-time champions this decade, their last title in 2018) and the 2017 champions Our Ladys Templemore.

Played on a calm, mild afternoon, a sizeable crowd turned up for this contest of two well drilled but young teams. Just 7 of the starting players are up to the full age for this Under 19 Hurling competition, four from Árdscoil Rís and three from Our Ladys Templemore.

Click to view photos from the game

The game was just seconds old when Templemore centre-forward Kenny Ryan scored a point from play only for the Limerick side to respond immediately with three points in as many minutes from Cathal O’Neill (2) and Aidan O’Connor to take an early lead. James Devaney added two points in the fifth and sixth minutes to bring Templemore level before Árdscoil Rís took control of the early exchanges.

As Templemore went all of ten minutes without a score, Árdscoil Rís were dominating, taking advantage of the Tipperary side’s short puck-out strategy to win turnovers and convert scores. Cathal O’Neill in particular was doing well at this stage from play and from placed balls, scoring four of his sides next six scores (three from frees) as the Limerick school raced in to a 0-9 to 0-5 lead after 20 minutes of play.

Our Ladys Templemore responded in some style at this stage as they scored 1-4 without reply in a blistering five minute spell. Points from play by Paudie Kinane, Darragh Kennedy and Henry Fogarty were followed quickly by a goal when Paudie Kinane raced in behind the Árdscoil Rís defence to raise the first green flag of the game. The same player added a point soon afterwards and Templemore led by 1-9 to 0-9 heading into the last five minutes of the opening half.

Colm O’Meara replied with a point from play for Árdscoil Rís and from the corresponding short puckout, the ball was turned over and while Aidan O’Connor’s shot from close range was well saved the ball broke to Shane O’Brien who’s first time shot found the back of the net to put his team back in front. Templemore would take the lead again with two points but the Limerick school added the last point of the first half and at the interval, the sides could not be separated – 1-11 to 1-11.

Templemore began the second half well and while James Devaney had a goal bound shot deflected in the opening minute, the same player pointed a free to begin the second half scoring. Niall O’Farrell replied with an Árdscoil Rís point from play, a score which ensured that all of the Limerick school’s forwards had scored from play. Darragh Kennedy put Templemore back in front soon afterwards before James Devaney’s well placed shot while under pressure found the net to put the Tipperary school in front by four points after 33 minutes. While Conor Cadell added a point from play for Templemore after 35 minutes, it was Árdscoil Rís who began to get to grips with the game at this stage.

As Templemore went 10 minutes without a score, hitting five wides in the process, Árdscoil Rís were doing better up front but were over reliant on the free taking of Cathal O’Neill as they failed to take full advantage of their superiority in this period. O’Neill would add three pointed frees in this spell and Colm O’Meara scored a point from play and suddenly, there was just a point between the sides heading in to the final quarter.

As was the case in the first half, when the need was greatest, Our Ladys upped their game and would score 2-4 without reply in the next seven minutes to blow this game wide open. Points from play by Kenny Ryan (2) and Tony Cahill were followed by an excellent team goal when good work by Paudie Kinane and Eddie Ryan helped to set up Tony Cahill for a Templemore goal. Substitute Kevin Maher pointed a free for Templemore before James Devaney added Templemore’s fourth goal with a classy finish in the 52nd minute and Our Ladys now led by 4-18 to 1-16.

Cathal O’Neill added a pointed free for the Limerick side in the 55th minute followed by Templemore points from Borris-Ileigh club players Kevin Maher and James Devaney to leave the score at 4-20 to 1-17 after 58 minutes.
As both sides rang the changes late on, Cathal O’Neill (now operating at full-forward), caught a high ball on the edge of the square and was duly fouled at the expense of a penalty which the same player converted. A minute later, Árdscoil Rís won a 20-metre free and O’Neill once again took responsibility and his shot somehow found the net through numerous bodies on the line to ensure the final score was more indicative of what was a closely fought game for long periods, 4-20 to 3-17.

St Francis College Rochestown and last year’s finalists CBC Cork are the other schools in this group and Árdscoil Rís will be under pressure in Round 2 when they take on Rochestown with a win almost certainly required should the Limerick school wish to finish in the top two in this group and qualify for the Quarter-Finals.

Note: As with all Harty Cup Group games, the participating schools are asked to print their team panels and provide them to the gate checkers to distribute to the paying customers. While Árdscoil Rís Limerick provided team sheets, Our Ladys Templemore did not.

Our Lady’s Templemore: Colm Callanan (Drom & Inch); Henry Fogarty (Thurles Sarsfields, 0-1), Lorcan Roche (JK Brackens), Shane Lowe (Moyne-Templetuohy); Cian O’Dwyer (Clonakenny), John Campion (Drom & Inch), James Corcoran (JK Brackens); Darragh Kennedy (Drom & Inch, 0-2), Conor Cadell (JK Brackens, 0-2); Ciarán McCormack (Loughmore-Castleiney), Kenny Ryan (Toomevara, 0-3), Eddie Ryan (Borris-Ileigh); Paudie Kinane (Drom & Inch, 1-2), Tony Cahill (Drom & Inch, 1-1), James Devaney (Borris-Ileigh, 2-7, 0-4 frees)
Subs: Kevin Maher (Borris-Ileigh, 0-2, 0-1 free), Ben Stapleton (Drom & Inch), Darragh Doyle (JK Brackens), Jimmy Mullen (Drom & Inch)

Árdscoil Rís Limerick: Cillian O’Brien (Clonlara), Storm Devaney (Sixmilebridge), Leon Kelly (Sixmilebridge), Alex Frost (Sixmilebridge); Mark O’Connor (Na Piarsaigh), Colin Coughlan (Ballybrown), Keith Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh); Michael Keane (Adare), Adam Murrihy (Ahane); Niall O’Farrell (Broadford, 0-1), Cathal O’Neill (Crecora Mainister, 2-10, 1-8 frees, 1-0 penalty), Colm O’Meara (Clonlara, 0-1); Barry O’Connor (Ballybrown, 0-1), Aidan O’Connor (Ballybrown, 0-2), Shane O’Brien (Kilmallock, 1-2)
Subs: Luke O’Connor (Ballybrown), Shane Hannon (Patrickswell), Luke Healy (Cratloe)

Referee: Tommy Ryan (Kiladangan)

Posted in: News

Date: 15th October 2019