Main sponsor:

26th October 2017

Dean Ryan Cup Under 16.5 A Hurling Semi-Final

Midleton CBS 2-17 St. Flannans 2-16

Report by Ed Donnelly

Midleton CBS qualified for the Dean Ryan Cup Final following a one-point victory over St. Flannans in a thriller at a sunny Ballyagran pitch on Thursday.

Click here to view photos from the game

Midleton got off to the better start in the game, taking a 0-4 to 0-1 lead after ten minutes courtesy of points by Eoghan Martin, Kyle Quinn Waites and Sean Walsh (2 frees). St. Flannans looked to be getting back in to the game following two points by Ashley Brosnan but this was short-lived as Cathal Hickey’s shot found the Flannans net in the 16th minute to leave Midleton in front by 1-4 to 0-3 at the end of the first quarter. Further points by Cathal Hickey and Kyle Quinn Waites with a solitary reply from Cian Galvin saw Midleton stretch their lead out to five points after 20 minutes.

The closing stages of the first half saw St. Flannans roar back in to contention as the Clare school scored five unanswered points in a three-minute period to bring the sides level after 26 minutes, the points coming from Ashley Brosnan, Diarmuid Cahill (2) and Kevin Keane (2). There was still time for one further score as Kyle Quinn Waites added a point from play for Midleton CBS which ensured the Cork side led by the minimum at the interval, 1-7 to 0-9.

The second half was just two minutes old when Cian Galvin brought the sides level with a point from play for Flannans. In the next five minutes, Midleton twice took a one-point lead only for St. Flannans to score an equaliser from the resultant puckout. St. Flannans were now playing well and when Kevin Keane caught a high ball on the edge of the square and dispatched the ball to the Midleton net in the 37th minute, St. Flannans led for the first time, 1-12 to 1-9.

Despite this set-back, Midleton CBS reacted swiftly to dominate the next ten minutes, outscoring Flannans by 1-5 to 0-1 with the goal coming in the 41st minute from Kyle Quinn Waites after the Clare side failed to clear their lines. As the game entered the final quarter, Midleton now led by 2-14 to 1-13.

St. Flannans were not finished however and in keeping with the tit for tat nature of this game, the Clare side managed to raise their second green flag in the 49th minute. Again, it was Kevin Keane catching a high ball and despite being under pressure, batted the sliothar to the back of the Midleton net and once again, there was just a point between the sides.

St. Flannans dominated possession for much of the closing stages but alas, found scores difficult to come by. Following Keane’s second goal, St. Flannans had three chances to level proceedings but missed on each occasion. Sean Walsh extended Midleton’s lead to two points with a pointed free in the 52nd minute. St. Flannans missed two further chances for scores before Ashley Brosnan added two pointed frees to bring the sides level in the 56th minute, 2-16 to 2-16.

Exchanges between the teams were now at fever pitch as two well drilled sides fought hard for every ball. A chance fell to Midleton’s Kyle Quinn Waites in the 58th minute and his high shot just managed to clear the crossbar and give Midleton a one-point lead. St. Flannans still had time to draw and possibly win the game when they worked possession to substitute Josh Brack who found himself one on one with the Midleton goalkeeper. His shot for goal flashed across the goalmouth and went agonisingly wide. St. Flannans would not get another chance and soon afterwards, the full-time whistle sounded with Midleton in front by a single point.

Midleton CBS will now play Thurles CBS in the Dean Ryan Cup Final fixed for Wednesday November 8th.

Click here to view photos from the game

Midleton CBS: Alex Quirke (Midleton); Eanna Motherway (St. Colmans), Jack Fitzgerald (Midleton), Leo Hennessy (Midleton); Ryan McCarthy (Killeagh, 0-2 frees), Ritchie Landers (Killeagh), Noel Cahill (St. Colmans); Samuel Quirke (Midleton), Olan Broderick (Killeagh); Ciaran Joyce (Kiltha Óg), Cathal Hickey (Lisgoold, 1-2), James Mulcahy (Carrigtwohill, 0-2); Eoghan Martin (Kiltha Óg, 0-1), Kyle Quinn Waites (Kiltha Óg, 1-4), Sean Walsh (Carrigtwohill, 0-6 frees)

St. Flannans: Cian Broderick (Clarecastle); Eoin Guilfoyle (Clooney-Quin), Jack Lyons (Ruan), Joey Keane (St. Josephs); Jack Reidy (Ballyea), Darragh Healy (Clarecastle), Stephen Casey (Ballyea); Conor Hegarty (Inagh Kilnamona, 0-1), Cian Galvin (Clarecastle, 0-3); Daniel Kelly (Ballyea, 0-1), Padraig Gerathy (St. Josephs), Ashley Brosnan (Ruan, 0-6, 0-5 frees); Diarmuid Cahill (Corofin, 0-2), Tony Butler (St. Josephs), Kevin Keane (Corofin, 2-3)
Subs: Jarlath Collins (Eire Óg) for Gerathy (45m), Josh Brack (Clarecastle) for Kelly (54m)

Referee: Mike Sexton

Posted in: News

Date: 26th October 2017